Wednesday, December 4, 2013

The Liberator - December 5, 2013


As published in the White River Current - Thursday December 5, 2013
 
It was a hot day in the middle of summer.  My mother and I were doing something outside in the back yard of the Rock House on Red Lane where we lived.  I remember it vividly.  I can even close my eyes and see it.  The sound reached us first, then we saw this huge, four engine airplane approaching from the south directly toward our house.  It was low, I mean really low, and it was really loud and really large as it passed directly over us, proceeding north about a mile, then turning west.  It was all over in a manner of seconds and the plane, which I recognized from photos as a B-24 bomber, was soon out of sight, taking the sound with it.  An incident from my childhood that I have never forgotten.  A boyhood friend, Charles Hudson, also witnessed the unusual event and wrote about it several years later.  His remembrance is included in his collection entitled “The Prose, Poetry and Pitiful Projects of a Primitive Poet (Copyright, 1996).  I have received permission to include Charles’ memory in this article.  He entitled it “The Liberator.”  ‘Twas in the middle of the day, and in the middle of the summer, under the hot summer sun; and there were scattered clouds, and it was 1943, and nothing much exciting ever happened in Calico Rock (population 1000) this time of year.  Dad and I were rebuilding a stretch of fence to keep old Sybil from escaping her own lush pasture to graze in Jess Merchant’s peanut patch, or to work the meager fare of the Edington Road glade rocks.  We’d set two sturdy new cedar fence posts, and we’d spliced the “bob” wire, and stretched it with a bar, and were busy stapling it to the posts when---we suddenly realized we were hearing a hum, and a moan and a throbbing drone, growing louder and louder in our consciousness.  We jumped upon the bank, and we looked toward town, and there we saw it:  that great huge B-24 “Liberator” bomber settling down over town two miles away and on a bearing straight for our house.  Dad said excitedly:  “Run tell the others.  It must be Neill!”  A good bet, I’d say, since my brother was the only B-24 pilot from Izard County—and maybe even from all of north central Arkansas.  I “lit out,” yelling at the top of my lungs, but I could see that I was losing the race; the plane would beat me to the house by far.  And what chance did an adolescent voice have against those four great 1200 horsepower Pratt and Whitney, Twin Wasp, air-cooled radial engines, close enough to command the attention of every human, and probably every critter in the area?  But I could see that my mother and my brother and sisters were enjoying their panic, and were waving and jumping around in the yard.  I guess we made it pretty easy if Neill looked down to see if he could see anyone.  I stood there in the middle of the pasture, and watched that big beautiful shiny dark green airplane, with the vivid red and yellow and white and blue markings and lettering, fly ever so low around the house and turn back to the northwest to pick up whatever their planned route was for that day.  I watched that great bird gain altitude and become smaller by the second, until it was a speck in the sky; and I could barely hear that fading doppler sound.  And then I could no longer see it or hear it at all; and I could barely believe that it had happened.  The excitement and the high that I experienced that day kept me from sleeping much that night, and it kept me from having much interest in repairing fences, or doing my chores, or much of anything else for a while.  And it still stands out as one of the most vivid memories of my life.  ‘Twas in the middle of the day; and in the middle of the summer; and in the middle of a war; and in the middle of my boyhood.  Liberated!  Charles spent the largest past of his life in California where he died a few years ago.  He was my high school classmate.  I’ll have more to say about the Hudson family in a forthcoming article.  My next column will be in the Christmas issue of the Current, the last issue of the year.  See you in two weeks.   
 
 
(Note:  This is a picture of a B-25 Liberator that I took at the airshow in Oshkosh WI in the summer of 2011.  That's our daughter Sara posing in the picture. - Steve)

No comments:

Post a Comment