Friday, January 31, 2014

Opera - January 30, 2014

As published in the White River Current - Thursday January 30, 2014
 
Where were you last Sunday night at 9 PM?  Or for that matter, the last four Sunday nights?  If you are like millions of other Americans, you were mesmerized by the PBS program on your television set, “Downton Abbey.”  This British soap opera style import is now in its fourth season, appearing on Sunday nights beginning in January and lasting for about seven weeks to the middle of February.  It has been so popular that some airlines have a travel special to London in early Fall for those fans who just can’t wait until January and want an early look at the fictional activities of an aristocratic English family during a period just before and after World War 1.  You may ask if I watch this stuff.  Of course I do, don’t you?  I’m hooked.  I haven’t missed an episode in four years.  Many years ago, in my working days, I timed my lunch hour to coincide with a very popular soap of the time, “As the World Turns.”  I thought it was pretty entertaining and Anita and I watched it for several years.  I’m not up on the latest daytime offerings but the last ones that I saw should be reserved for the late night time slots.  Most would have to receive a PG-13 rating in the least if they were shown in movie theaters.  “As the world turns” wasn’t like that back in the days when we were watching.  Nor is “Downton Abbey” although on one or two occasions a warning that “viewer discretion is advised” has been issued.  In an earlier “Ramblings” article, I talked about radio soaps back when I was a boy growing up in the Rock House on Red Lane.  We always listened to “One Man’s Family” every Saturday night and on rare occasions, I would catch my mom tuned into “Ma Perkins,” which came on every weekday afternoon.  Soaps have been around a long time.  Now, this issue of Ramblings is not intended to be about “soaps” but instead about (drumroll, please!!) Opera.  Now I am still in the kindergarten phase of my opera intelligence.  Back when I was a boy, I remember the performances from the Metropolitan Opera in New York that came on the radio on Saturday afternoon, particularly those high, soprano sounds in some unknown foreign language.  Then, some years later, Anita and I, along with Dr. John and Betty, attended a performance of the well- known opera, “Carmen”, in Memphis.  Now, there are no “speaking parts” in an opera.  Every word is sung.  In the case of “Carmen,” the words were sung in French, the language of the composer, Bizet, who penned the opera in 1875.  We were provided with a libretto (English translation) of this musical composition and tried to follow as best we could to the action that was taking place on the stage.  It was the first and only opera that I have ever attended but I will never forget the beautiful, haunting aria “Habanera” or the “Toreador Song.”  A few weeks ago, I was watching episode No. 2 of Downton Abbey.  In this episode, the family is throwing a big party for several important invited guests and, for the evening’s entertainment, they have brought in a famous soprano from Australia.  Imagine my surprise when she sang a beautiful aria by Puccini, “O Mio Babbino Caro.”  (You can enjoy six different renditions of this aria on Youtube; check it out).  I accompanied Fredericka on the piano when she sang this, and other arias, in a program several years ago at the community center.  More recently, I recognized it as the background music on a car commercial on TV.  At the memorial service for my good friend and mentor, Tom* Johns, those attending were treated to several operatic selections, some of which I am sure they had heard the melodies before, not knowing they were operatic.  I had encouraged Tom* to write more about his career in the opera business in his “Tenoring” column, but he never did.  Too bad.  I’ll really miss his humor, his knowledge on just about any subject, his tenor voice in the church choir, his phone calls and e-mails, his love of the Ozarks and birds and cooking and fishing, and….all at once, I’m really lonely.     

No comments:

Post a Comment