Monday, August 27, 2012

Baseball - August 9, 2012

BREAKING NEWS!!  Calico Joe, the movie, will soon be a reality.  A major production
company in Hollywood has purchased the motion picture rights.  Of course, it will take a
couple of years or longer to write the screenplay and assemble the cast.  I am hoping that
part of the filming will be made in Calico Rock which is Joe’s home town (in the book).
I am making myself available to portray Joe in the film version of this exciting story.  I
have all the credentials.  I’m a native of Calico Rock.  I was a baseball star in my youth.
And, I know how to use a riding lawn mower.  What more could you ask for?  Perhaps
 my son, Steve, might fill in for the close-ups of the younger Joe.  I’m already excited.
Maybe now would be a good time to make good my promise to tell about my athletic
accomplishments when I was just a teenager here in the Queen City.  Somewhere in this
issue is a photo of the Calico Rock Polecats baseball team.  This was a team of local kids
that was put together by Sherman and Vivene who were former residents that had moved
back home from Albuquerque.  I don’t know how to better put it than to say the Polecats
really stunk, pun intended.  They were in desperate need for a power hitter.  Sherman
came to me on bended knee, begging me to help turn this ragtag group into a baseball
team.  I agreed to help out and in no time we were ready to play.  I don’t remember the
exact number of home runs I hit that summer but I’m pretty sure it was less than 25.
I do know that I didn’t reach my goal of batting .400, but it was a good summer and
I had fun playing with those youngsters.  The high point of the season was when we beat
the tar out of the men’s team.  Sherman and Vivene took us all out to a local café for a
celebration.  But that’s not the high point of my baseball career.  That came with another
team altogether.  Harold Louis was the coach of this team which was comprised of high
school boys that just liked to play the sport.  Our transportation was a flatbed truck that
belonged to Harold Louis’ dad.  We would just pile onto the back of the truck and off
we would go (remember this phrase).  The most memorable game we played was against
Mountain View.  I was discussing this with Harold Ray the other night.  He was our
catcher and the pitcher was a fireballer, Henderson, Jr.  I played first base, the position
I played most of the time.  I don’t recall all the team members, but I remember Thednal
played either shortstop or third base.  Don was the centerfielder and he almost always
misjudged a fly ball, recovering just in time to make a spectacular catch reaching high
above his head.  The stage was set and since we were on their home field, we batted
first.  Their pitcher was their ace lefthander, one of the Wallace boys.  He was a little
wild and walked the first two batters he faced.  I was batting third and I immediately
hit a screaming liner to right center for a double, scoring the runner from second base
with what proved to be the winning run.  The other runner went to third.  We ended the
inning making five runs before Wallace settled down and that was the last runs we made.
Now it was their turn.  Their first batter was their star, Billy Joe.  He hit a long fly to deep
center, but Don caught it in his usual fashion.  Billy Joe sent another long one to Don in
the fourth inning.  In the seventh, Billy Joe tried a new tactic.  He tried to punch one into
right field but I leaped high and caught it in the web of my glove to save the game which we
won 5-0, a perfect game, three up and three down for nine innings.  Two weeks later on a
trip to play Mt. Pleasant, Harold Lewis got too close to a culvert which caught the right dual
wheel and pitched Don, Jimmy and myself  off with career-ending injuries.  Remembering
the fun times and expecting a phone call from Hollywood any time, this is Reed.  Bye!!

   

No comments:

Post a Comment