Monday, August 27, 2012

Music - August 23, 2012

My cousin, William Reed, served his country by enlisting in the Army Air Corps during
the second world war and was stationed in England.  He was a tail-gunner on a B-17
bomber. During one of the raids over Germany, his plane was shot down by anti-aircraft
artillery but he was able to parachute to safety.   He was captured and spent the next year
and a half in a German concentration camp.  After the war, he was repatriated and spent
the rest of his life in Calico Rock.  William Reed talked very little about his experiences
in the prison camp but I remember one incident he recalled and that brings us to the main
subject of this week’s rambling column which is (drum roll) MUSIC.  As the war in
Europe began to wind down in 1945, my cousin said the prison guards started to get a
little more friendly.  Some of the guards could speak English and on one occasion William
heard one of them singing.  He was told that it was a popular song in America and that
it was number one on the Hit Parade.  The song was “Mairzy Dotes.”  The lyrics go like
this:  “Mairzy dotes and dozy doats and liddle lamzy divey, A kiddley divey too, wouldn’t
you?”  Look, I’m not making this up.  Google “Mairzy Dotes” if you want to check out
the rest of the lyrics.  Buy me a cup of coffee and I might even sing it for you.  Another
novelty song that became a hit back in the 40’s went like this:  “Hut-Sut Rawlson on the
rillerah and a brawla, brawla sooit.”  This song was featured in the very popular film
“From Here to Eternity.”  You can hear a version of it on You-tube or I might sing it for
you by special request.  I have a large collection of sheet music including some very old
pieces that I inherited from my aunt.  One of my favorites from the 20’s was “You’ve
got to see your momma every night or you won’t see momma at all.”  One of the most
popular entertainers in the 20’s and 30’s was Al Jolson.  His most famous hit was a
number called “Mammy.”  He did this song in blackface which would be unheard of
in today’s culture.  The song ended with Jolson down on his knees pleading “I’d walk a
million miles for one of your smiles, my Mammy.”  Another popular singer was Eddie
Cantor.  Both Jolson and Cantor are featured in biographical movies that are available
on DVD.  I haven’t checked it out but I’ll bet you can find both entertainers on You-tube.
A lot has changed in the music world in my lifetime but I still like the old stuff.  I try,
but I just can’t get into the contemporary sounds of today.  I’ll take the old standards
like “Stardust” and “Night and Day.”  As a matter of fact, I have started writing a
popular song.  I have given this a lot of thought and I believe the best approach, since I
am only going to write one song, will be to write a Christmas song.  It will have to
have catchy lyrics and a beautiful melody that will be recorded by several dozen pop
singers and, perhaps, be picked up by the country singers.  Played by radio stations all
over the globe every December, the royalty checks will start rolling in.  Here’s a short
preview to get you excited:  “Pea-nuts toasting by an open fire; Jack Frost licking on
your toes.  Festive songs being hummed in a bar, While folks outside are getting froze.”
I know, I know, but “ frozen” doesn’t rhyme with toes.  I’ll refine this a bit as I go along
but don’t you just love the lilting way this tune goes.  Keep your ear close to the radio.
This is going to be big, I can just feel it.  I’ll work on my poetry a bit and I know it will
all come together.  I don’t know why I didn’t think of this a long time ago.  Oh, well, as
they say, “better late if ever” or something like that.  I’ll be sure to keep you posted when and
where to order the CD after I complete the recording session.  Already getting in the holiday
spirit here in the Queen City of the Ozarks, beautiful Calico Rock.  So long til next time.
        

No comments:

Post a Comment