Monday, August 27, 2012

Girl Friends (Old Age) - July 26, 2012

When I was a young man courting the girls I played me a waiting game; If a maid refused
me with tossing curls I let the old earth take a couple of whirls While I plied her with tears
in lieu of pearls And as time came around she came my way, As time came around she came.

So goes the verse of a very popular song from the 30’s called “September Song.”  It had a
hauntingly beautiful melody and was written for a Musical Play and was later featured in
a movie.  The song was sung in these venues by an “elderly” gentleman who was looking
back on his past experiences, sort of reminiscing.  Kind of what I do in these bi-weekly
visits. Now I don’t remember plying any of my girlfriends with tears but I do remember
some of my girlfriends.  The first one was Johnnie Faye.  We were both three years old.
She lived across the street and we played together a lot.  Her mom played games with
us and taught us our ABC’s and some simple math.  When I entered the first grade, I
could read, add, subtract and multiply.  In the meantime, my parents moved us to a
house in another part of town.  I don’t know what ever became of Johnnie Faye and
her family. Fast forward about ten years.  Shelby and I were downtown watching the
old Tom Mix western at the medicine show when we noticed these two girls.  It was the
sisters Ann and Mary.  We went over and introduced ourselves.  Ann and I spent a lot
of time together after that.  Then school was over and she moved to another town.

Oh, it’s a long, long while From May to December, But the days grow short When you
reach September. 

Perry used to say “getting old is not for sissies.”   He was a member
of the OFC (Old F**ts  Club) along with seven others.  We still meet at Dean’s about
three or four times a year for a time of telling stories and having a bunch of laughs then
go somewhere for lunch.  Occasionally we will bring along the wives for the lunch
time, usually in March when most of us celebrate our birthdays.  We’re down to six
members now.  Perry and Billy Charles are no longer with us.  We sure miss them.

When the autumn weather turns the leaves to flame, One has-n’t got time for the waiting
game. 

I was at the doctor for my “wellness” checkup.  This is political correctness for
annual physical.  Dr. Robert asked me how I was feeling.  “Fine” I said.  Fine?  FINE?
I’m not fine.  Every bone in my body aches.  I have trouble getting in and out of my
car.  I have glaucoma, high blood pressure, high cholesterol and several minor ailments.
I used to say that medicine was made to sell, not made to take.  Now I take about fifteen
pills every day plus throw in a few Tylenol tablets along the way.  I usually fall asleep
in my chair while reading the paper after supper, wake up during the 10 o’clock news
and soon after amble off to bed.  I guess this is common for us octogenarians.  Fine???
Oh, the days dwindle down to a precious few-------September,-------November!----
I was back for my senior year in college and was having a coke at the student union
with  some friends when she and several freshman girls walked in.  My heart did a flip-
flop.  Who was this beauty?  Where did she come from?  I asked Charlotte to find out
and let me know as soon as possible.  A couple of days later, Charlotte called.  She gave
me Anita’s name and strongly suggested that I should call her.  I did and we went to the
movie on our first date which didn’t turn out too well (my fault).  However, she agreed on
a second date and things improved from there.  We were married in 1953 and five days
later I left for my two year tour of duty in the army.  Many times told that she was a “saint”
for putting up with me these many years, I still consider myself a very fortunate man.

And these few precious days I’ll spend with you, These precious days I’ll spend with you.

Enjoying the old songs but getting sentimental here in Calico Rock, this is Reed.  Bye!!
 

No comments:

Post a Comment