Monday, August 27, 2012

Intro - April 5, 2012

Just to set the record straight.  I’m not a journalist.  However, I did spend the night
in a Holiday Inn Express once.  I have never considered myself a writer.  I hated
English composition in high school and college.  I’m not good at sentence structure
and correct punctuation.  So, why?

Our friends, Tom* and Frederica are home in Calico Rock after spending the last
thirty-five or so years in Germany where they were both employed.  Retired, at last,
they are in their home and, boy, it is good to see them.  Tom* has kept us up-to-date
on their activities with (almost) daily e-mails.  Important things  like his visits to see
Farmer Brown’s cows, history of the May-Pole, plus several examples of his culinary
skill including recipes.  I can verify his chicken noodle soup is of very high quality
because he sent over a pot last week when I was ailing.  It didn’t cure me on the spot
but I did feel much better after downing a large bowlful.  Thanks, Tom*  Now the
e-mails were kinda rambling at times, but effective,  so I am patterning this opinion
column the same way so if you don’t like it, blame Tom*.”  Now to the opinion.
I have a problem.  I don’t know if T&F are from “off” now that they are here and, if so,
should be treated as such.  I know that they have maintained a home here for over 35
years, but I just don’t know how long you have to live here until you are not from “off.”
Of course neither was born here which raises another question:  If you weren’t born
here, will you always be from “off?”  I know some people who think so.  And, are
people who were born here from “on?”   My friend, Claire, said that you have to have
Cherokee blood in your veins to not be from “off.”  Which means that, even though
I was born here, I am probably from “off.”

Well, I could go on and on.  Shows how silly this is.  The fact is that we would be in
bad shape if it wasn’t for those friends who have decided to make our area their home.
Take Ed & Kay on lower Main Street.  They keep a tub containing bags of roasted
peanuts just outside their front door with a sign of welcome and the offer to take a
bag with their compliments.  Do you know what a Fat Quarter is?  No, it’s not a 25-cent
coin on steroids.  It is a quilter’s term.  Drop in at the new Quilt Shop just up the sidewalk from Ed & Kays. What do you do when you know that “company” is coming?
Why you pick up, spruce up, generally clean up.  The 20/20 group will be on Main
street next week  sweeping, raking, washing windows, planting flowers and helping
prepare our little town for what looks like a lot of visitors arriving.  Come by a say
hello on April 10th from 9:00 until the job is finished.  Bring a broom and join us. 

We are proud of these new friends.  I say, God Bless the people from “off” And
Company’s Coming.  So, that’s enough rambling for now.  I may, or may not,
have more opinions to offer occasionally.  If I choose to continue every now and then,
the next offering will be about “Dogs I have known.”  These are my opinions and
do not necessarily reflect the views of this newspaper.  So, this is Rambling Reed
reporting from the Queen City of the Ozarks, til next time, that’s ---30---

No comments:

Post a Comment